Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What can I add to Wikipedia?

For our next assignment we get to add to a Wikipedia entry. This is especially exciting because I have always used Wikipeda as a reference and always find plenty of information but I have yet to make additions to existing Wikipedia entries. In order to begin I decided to use the most simple search terms in order to find the Wikipedia entry that correlated with my search term best. My first search term was "lpfm radio" and I was able to find the Wikipedia entry titled "Low Power Broadcasting" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-power_broadcasting. While quickly glancing over this entry I could tell that it was already very full of information so I feel that this one could be challenging to try to add to. Instantly I thought that I could incorporate the most relevant news with LPFM, specifically, the Local Community Radio Act of 2010. Unfortunately, there was already some information on this topic. However, I feel that I could make a useful contribution to Wikipedia by expanding on that topic so help readers better understand the current issues regarding LPFM radio. Especially with something so current it would be beneficial for readers to know all the ins and outs of the local community act of 2010.

Since, my first search was already full of a lot of information I decided to use another search term that perhaps was not so often searched on Wikipedia that I might be able to add information to. My new search term was "micro-broadcasting." Upon searching this I found an entry titled "Micro-broadcasting" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbroadcasting. Luckily, or not, this post did not have much information at all. I'm excited that it lacks a lot of information because then I will be able to incorporate some of the information I was able to find during my research. Specifically, I feel like I can add to this post regarding more in-depth details regarding who uses micro-broadcasting stations, how they are run, and how they compare to LPFM stations. The Wikipedia entry briefly goes over the differences between LPFM and micro-broadcasting, I feel that it would be essential to have a clear explanation of the difference in order to better understand both LPFM stations and micro-broadcasting. I am eager to keep developing my thoughts to be able to add some information to one of these Wikipedia posts.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is all very interesting. I am not sure that microbroadcasting wold necessarily follow LPFM. We might want to stick something that is more directed to LPFM. I like how you embedded your links into your paragraph. Again, nice and fluid-

    ReplyDelete